Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Introduction

My name is LJ. I am 35 years old and I have basically lived in the Midwest for my entire life. I did live in New Mexico briefly when I was in my toddler years and then there was that one year when I was 17 that I lived in Southern California but the rest of my life has been in the Midwest. I am a college graduate, never been married, and I do not have any children.

I am currently engaged to a beautiful woman that is from the Philippines. She is 27 years old, also a college graduate, never been married, and like me doesn’t have any children. At this time she is still there in the Philippines until we begin the K1 FiancĂ© Visa process. We met online at a forum about Filipina/American relationships just over a year ago. I just recently got back home from going to visit her for a few weeks and during that visit we got engaged.

My first experience with the Filipino culture was when my Uncle married a Filipina many years ago when I was 12 years old. While he was stationed overseas in the Navy she lived with my family and me for about 2 years. Her kindness and loving attitude really impressed me and she was readily accepted into the family. They are still married to this day and I am still very much in contact with her. It seems as if she and I are getting just a little closer now since I am engaged to a Filipina. I want to believe she is excited about that.

As I mentioned before, I just recently returned from a visit to the Philippines. I went to the island of Negros and spent most of my time in Bacolod, otherwise known as the city of smiles. It was truly the trip of a lifetime and also changed my views about life, family, culture, and my future. All the expectations I had of the Philippines and of my fiancĂ©e’s family were exceeded. I have heard some of the stories on the news and online about how dangerous the Philippines is since it is a third world country. Maybe some of that is true in some small portions of the country but it wasn’t something I experienced. Hopefully this blog can help squash some of the incorrect notions some people have about the Philippines.

I thank you for reading this blog. I hope to keep it updated often with information and also with my thoughts about moving there sometime in the future. In my next update I will share my thoughts and views about my trip there and why my views on life have changed so much. Hope to hear from some of you in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog! I've enjoyed reading your posts thus far! (I know Marissa from facebook...met her through a nephew of mine.) Congratulations on your engagement...you two look like a very sweet couple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Monica

    Thank you very much for checking out my blog. It is a work in progress as of right now. I am working on some ways to make it a great success.

    Thank you also for the congratulations on the engagement, smartest thing I ever did was to ask her to marry me.

    Hope to see you around!

    ReplyDelete